Żurrieq is a town in the southern region of Malta. It is one of the oldest towns in the country, and it has a population of 12 000 inhabitants. The first documentation about it being a parish dates back to 1436 dedicated to St. Catherine of Alexandria. The island of Filfla is administratively a part of the town.
A Phoenician tomb containing pottery and human remains was discovered at Ta’ Danieri and other finds include the cart ruts of Tal-Bakkari, a number of Punic-Roman towers, and Paleo-Christian tombs. The Xarolla Windmill dates back to 1724 and is one of very few left in Malta.
Many churches and chapels are to be found in the area, some of them dating back to the 15th century. Some notable buildings include Parish Church dedicated to Saint Catherine Of Alexandria, the Church of St Catherine, the Bubaqra Chapel, St Mary’s Church, Nigret Chapel, the Church of the Immaculate Conception,the Chapel of the Annunciation,the Chapel of Saint John the Evangelist,St John’s Chapel, Chapel of St Leo and more. Nigret Palace was built in 1715 and another is It-Torri ta’ Bubaqra, a private residence.
Here you will find the famous Blue Grotto and jogging and walking paths.
The patron saint is St. Catherine of Alexandria and the days of the festas are the 1st Sunday of September and 25 November.