Qala is a village on the island of Gozo, Malta, with a population of 2300. Qala is first referred to in a fifteenth-century document and has taken its name from the qala (‘port’) of Ħondoq ir-Rummien. It is the easternmost village of Gozo and has been inhabited since early times. It is rural with many natural and historic attractions.
Qala enjoys an unobstructed views of the islands of Malta and Comino are spectacular from the church known as Il-Madonna tal-Blat (Our Lady of the Rocks). Qala’s coastline is largely rugged. Among the many sea caves found along the coast is Għar Minka, which is accessible only by boat.
Qala is located at the easternmost point of Gozo. The village parish church is dedicated to Saint Joseph and was built 1882 and 1889. Its style is baroque as in many other churches on the island.
Sites of historical interest in and around Qala include the salt pans, a well-preserved windmill and prehistoric remains. One can find examples of cart ruts, which extend over 180 metres and are some of the longest on Gozo. The village parish church is dedicated to St Joseph. St. Anthony’s Battery, also known as the Qala Point Battery, was built between 1731 and 1732. Ħondoq ir-Rummien Bay can be accessed from the village of Qala and lies opposite to the isle of Comino and is extremely popular in the summer with locals and tourists.
The feast of Qala is celebrated on the first Sunday of August and is dedicated to the beloved patron Saint Joseph.