Importation of Personal Effects

24th February, 2022
Personal information


EU citizens originating from EU member states may freely bring in their household effects without any restrictions except for firearms, weapons of any kind.

Vehicles are not to be considered as household effects and registration taxes are still imposed when one transfers his residence to Malta.

Citizens of other States must prove that there is a transfer of residence to Malta in order to freely bring in their effects without the payment of any dues.

For more information, one may talk to a local shipping and forwarding services company, including Gatt Shipping Services, one of the most professional and reliable suppliers in the field.


On transfer of residence to Malta, used cars (ie. more than 6 months old or have more than 6000 kilometres), originating from EU member states, are not subject to VAT on cost (CIF). However, they are subject to the full registration tax.

In the case of new cars originating from EU countries, these are subject to VAT on CIF value, registration tax. Cars originating from non-EU countries are also subject to customs duty.

Owners of used cars are to notify Transport Malta if the vehicle’s arrival in Malta, and register within fifteen days.

Minimum values of registration tax apply for non-EU vehicles having more than four years, depending on the CO2 of the vehicle. On registration of used cars, owners need to produce local VRT Certificates, local insurance policy and original Registration Certificate (logbook). In the case of new cars, a copy of the invoice and certificate of conformity will be required.

Foreign nationals taking up residency in Malta and who opt to bring their own car, do not need to pay import duty on the vehicle, given that they satisfy certain conditions. To qualify for relief the applicant must:

  • have had his/her residence outside Malta for a continuous period of at least 24 months;
  • have transferred his/her residence permanently to Malta;
  • be the registered owner of the vehicle at the time of transfer;
  • have had possession of and actually used the vehicle abroad for at least 24 months before the date on which he ceased to have his residence outside Malta;
  • not be a student returning to Malta having attended a school, university or other educational or vocational establishment abroad for a period of less than five years or
  • a person who had been serving in Malta’s diplomatic corps outside Malta; holds a valid driving licence.


To qualify for relief the vehicle must:

  • have been in the possession of the applicant and used by him for a continuous period of least 24 months prior to the vehicle’s arrival in Malta;
  • be registered in applicant’s name.


For more information one may contact Transport Malta, the local authority governing matters related to transport across the Maltese Islands, including aviation, maritime and land transport.


From 1st January 2012, the rules for bringing your pet dog, cat or ferret into MALTA have changed.

Rules For Entering MALTA:

Make sure you have had the procedures carried out in the correct order and your pet’s documentation is correctly completed. If you do not, your pet may not be able to enter the country or may have to be withheld in quarantine on arrival.

Rules Depend On Which Country You Are Travelling Into MALTA From:

  • EU member state—see Part I
  • Approved non-EU countries (refer to link below) – see Part I
  • Non-approved countries (not in EU or not listed below – refer to link below) – see Part II

PART I Entry To MALTA From Other EU Member States And Approved Non-EU Countries:

For your pet to enter MALTA from these countries, you must answer ‘yes’ to the following questions:

  • Is it micro-chipped?
  • Is your pet currently vaccinated against rabies?
  • Was it vaccinated after it was micro-chipped?
  • Have you got an EU Pet Passport or Official Veterinary Health Certificate from your vet certifying the micro-chip and vaccination?
  • Have 21 days passed since it was vaccinated?

PART II Entry To MALTA From Non-Approved Countries:

For your pet to enter MALTA from these countries, you must answer ‘yes’ to the following steps:

  • Is it micro-chipped?
  • Is your pet currently vaccinated against rabies?
  • Was it vaccinated after being micro-chipped?
  • Was a blood sample for a blood test taken at least 30 days after it was vaccinated?
  • Has it passed the blood test? (your vet will tell you)
  • Have 3 months passed since the sampling date for the Rabies Anti-body titration test?
  • Have you got an EU Pet Passport or Official Veterinary Health Certificate from your veterinary authority certifying the microchip, vaccination and blood test result?

Tapeworm Treatment

Dogs travelling to Malta have to be treated with Praziquantel and this treatment has to be certified by a veterinarian in the pet passport or official veterinary certificate not less than 24hours and not more than 120hours prior to travel.

Notice Of Travel And Arrival

A tracking sheet is attached to the same application for permit. The tracking sheet has to be filled in with exact travelling details.

Inspection For Release

Pets will be able to leave the arrival lounges of ports and airports or disembark from vessels only after a positive inspection of identification and a positive documentary check have been carried out. An inspection fee of €50 which will be paid to the releasing officer who shall issue an official receipt on the spot.

Previous slide
Next slide

With Frank Salt Real Estate

By registering, I agree to the website’s Privacy Policy.

Forgot Your Password?

Search Property By Reference


Account Verification


We have sent email to [email protected] to confirm the validity of your email address.