Property for Rent in Birguma
Apartments For Rent In Birguma
Penthouses For Rent In Birguma
Maisonettes For Rent In Birguma
Birguma forms part of the greater area of Naxxar and is in the Northern Region of Malta, with a population of about 14000 people. The local Church is dedicated to Our Lady of Victories and the annual village feast is celebrated on 8 September. Naxxar hosted the Maltese International Trade Fair at the Maltese International Trade Fair Grounds.
The locality is spread over an area of 11 square kilometres and includes Naxxar centre, Sgħajtar area, Santa Marija tax-Xagħra, San Pawl tat-Tarġa, Birguma, Magħtab, Salina, Baħar iċ-Ċagħaq and part of Madliena.
Origins of settlement dates to the prehistoric era with megalithic remains at Tal-Qadi and at Qaliet Marku. Cart ruts at Salina up to it-Targa and near Ghadira tal-Wej are from the same period and in Naxxar there are a lot of stonemasons.
According to legend locals were amongst the first to help the shipwrecked, including Saint Paul.
The Parish of Naxxar was the first in the Maltese outskirts, after that of the Cathedral (Mdina) and that of Vittoriosa. In 1575, the parish of Naxxar had under its control a total of 36 churches. Ta’ Cisju Farmhouse dates from 1730 and is the oldest rural building in the area. Some fortifications in the area include Gauci Tower (16th Century), Captain’s Tower (16th Century), Għallis Tower (17th Century), Saint Mark’s Tower (17th Century), Baħar iċ-Ċagħaq Redoubt (18th Century), Ximenes Redoubt (18th Century), Naxxar Entrenchment (18th Century), the Victoria Lines, a 19th-century defensive line and the Reserve Post. A notable residences is Palazzo Parisio, built by grandmaster Manoel de Vilhena in the 18th century.
Palazzo Nasciaro is an 18th-century palace built during the Order of St. John and a prime example of late baroque architecture. Villa Castro, formerly Palazzo Castro, is a knights period country residence which has been renovated and developed for modern housing.