Property Details ref 414542
- Hot Property
Zejtun, Converted Palazzo
Zejtun is a medium sized town in the south of Malta. Zejtun's origins lie in antiquity judging by discoveries in the area of Punic tombs and the remains of a large Roman villa complete with cisterns and olive press. Zejtun was elevated to town status by the last Grand Master in Malta, Ferdinand de Hompesch, who named it `Citta' Beland' after his mother's lineage. Zejtun, lying near to Marsaxlokk and Marsascala Bays, was easily open to attack from Barbary Corsairs and the Ottoman Turks. You can still see some fortified houses in the village core. Zejtun today retains much of historical interest. The Parish Church of St Catherine (1692), described as `the cathedral of the South', is perhaps the finest work of Maltese architect Lorenzo Gafa'.
Double-fronted PALAZZO dating back to the 16th century. Set in the heart of this quaint village, this residence offers ample accommodation. The ground floor layout comes in the form of an entrance hall (complete with authentic Maltese arch features), formal sitting/dining room, combined sitting and living room, fully equipped kitchen leading onto a bright and spacious central courtyard. A dry cellar is accessible through the courtyard along with 2 bedrooms, ideal as guest quarters. An old stone internal staircase leads to the first floor, complemented by a further 3 bedrooms (two having an en suite bathroom), a common shower room and a lovely roof terrace (with ample room for a pool and further extension). The property is very rich in authentic features that only a palazzo of this grandeur can offer, making it one of a kind. Freehold
Location marked on map is indicative.