Finding the Ideal Commercial Office Space for Rent In Malta
Malta’s compact size and strategic geographical location has made one of the ideal places to set up a business in the EU. Here you will find office premises and space for rent that are the perfect match for your business sector, not matter what the size.
Unlike many countries, Malta’s cosmopolitan areas do not have a traditional central business district labelled for example as “Downtown” in the case of New York or “The City” as we find with London – consequently the choice of where to rent an office space can be daunting. In Malta, a variety of business centres or hubs have been established in several locations, depending on the requirements of one’s particular type of business. Determining where to set up shop, one must consider key factors such as one’s core business, target audience, access, size, budget, infrastructure, equipment, furnishings and of course, budget.
If you are a small business owner, the choice of office spaces for rent is endless. There are individual office spaces available all over the islands, or you could opt to rent an office space in one of the major business developments on the island, which offer an excellent choice of options.
Bigger concerns such as the financial, gaming and aviation industries have seen a proliferation all over the islands and this spearheaded the need for additional office space required for lease and rent that befits smaller, individual support industries.
A popular location for big and small business concerns is Sliema: it has long been Malta’s informal commercial centre and it is packed with international brands and companies that thrive on visibility and the easy access Sliema provides for multi-nationals. In contrast, Valletta as the capital city caters for more traditional businesses and it has been the hub for law firms and family-owned businesses for many decades. Both locations still attract many new businesses each year and offer a myriad of options for those who are keen to rent office space, whether it is an ultra-modern seafront office apartment in Sliema or a converted palazzo in Valletta.
Seafront properties in the central location of Ta’ Xbiex have also become very popular with iGaming companies: Ta’ Xbiex is upmarket, close to both Valletta and Sliema and provides entertainment, dining and residential rental options for these companies’ international staff component.
In addition, there are state-of-the-art commercial developments near Luqa International Airport (ideal for team members who travel regularly), but also in residential areas such as Naxxar, Mosta and Mellieha and even developments that have been built with a particular sector in mind, such as the IT Village at “Smart City”, located to the south of the island. All offer a variety of office spaces for rent catering to a range of budgets and comes with an assortment of top facilities that will suit everyone: from start-ups to long-established global organisations.
Other traditional commercial areas include St Julian’s (which is very popular for its sea view offices) and Floriana which attracts businesses that require to be within walking distance of Valletta.
Factors to consider when looking at renting premises:
What space do I need?
Space is a priority and 10 square metres per employee is ideal. Additional space will be required for boardrooms, kitchens and other amenities. The price is calculated according to space acquired and this price will be reviewed annually. Hence, when renting offices in Malta, it is imperative to estimate the predicted rental expenditure for years in advance, rather than just taking into account the first year of business. For start-ups we recommend Regus Offices in Swatar and BOSI offices in Mriehel as ideal.
Do I require a quiet environment or an open collaborative space?
Make sure that the layout of your office space reflects the type of company you are running. A creative company, such as those in software design or gaming, usually require informal, open working spaces and large meeting rooms to discuss or share ideas and further creativity. On the other hand, a small law firm or financial company will benefit from a more tranquil and quieter environment.
How long should your initial letting contract be?
Signing a long-term contract from the outset is not advisable, as this can have negative consequences for the future. For example, if you cannot predict the success or growth of your company, the initially chosen limited office space can prove inadequate to cope with a sudden increase of employees and the need for more space. Ensure that the initial office space of choice will be able to accommodate your company’s growth for some months or years to come.
Does it have the necessary amenities?
Amenities are what turn an office environment into a comfortable working space: a welcoming and well-equipped central kitchen, a professional conference room, ample parking, modern bathrooms, up-to-date IT infrastructure and an informal lounge or meeting area should be considered if one is planning on starting up or running a successful business in a brand new office space.
Is it affordable?
Any start-up will need to take certain risks, so investing in an office space should to be carefully planned in order to underscore one’s success. Calculations should be based on the total running costs for a month covering an entire team, rather than basing it on per individual cost. Also factor in “hidden” expenses that are unavoidable such as utilities, furniture, groceries and commodities. Keep in mind that the chosen location for one’s office space will have a huge impact on its running expenses. Central locations are more expensive than industrial ones, so if walk-ins and personal contact is not a priority for your business’ survival, rather go for the latter more affordable option.
Offices for Rent in St JuliansSt Julians is surely the most prestigious of Malta’s business localities. Having an office in St Julians adds
Offices for Rent in SliemaHaving an office in Sliema is extremely desirable, as this location is central, accessible and in the heart of all of Malta
Offices for Rent in MsidaMany businesses have an office in Msida due to its central location. The University of Malta, Mater Dei Hospital and several newspapers...
Mriehel – a prime destination for Malta business, big or small
Mriehel is arguably at top the list for financial institutions’ business locations. It is home to the MFSA, Malta’s Financial Services Authority and Mriehel is relatively industrial, with a very low residential footprint. It is very central and borders the areas of Birkirkara and Qormi. Another number of key financial services providers are already headquartered in Mriehel, including The Bank of Valletta, HSBC Malta and four auditing giants amongst which one will find PriceWaterhouseCoopers, KPMG and Deloitte for example.
Geographically, Mriehel is just a fifteen minute drive from Malta’s international airport with Valletta and the Sliema a respective 7km away and less than ten minutes’ travel by car. The area is also well-connected to Malta’s public transport network. It is for good reason that Malta’s well-established legal and audit firms have chosen this region to set up office: it is central and tranquil as a business environment.
- It is also here in Meriehel that one will find BOSI (Business Office Spaces International) offering commercial office spaces for rent:
- Should your business not require direct contact with clients, renting a serviced office space in an industrial centre such as the Business Office Services International Malta block located in Mriehel is an excellent choice. This block offers contemporary office spaces starting from as little as €650 per month, ideal for start-ups or the still-growing business.
- These offices are available for immediate occupancy, complemented by state-of-the-art meeting and conferencing services and all other office amenities. Frank Salt Real Estate is proud to be the exclusive agency for these prestigious
- These new state-of-the-art office premises were launched in 2015 and provide a very flexible office rental solution. All are high quality, prestigious, ready-to-go offices and offer plenty of natural light, enjoying beautiful country views.
- Various office rental options are available: from conventional offices to private glass-partitioned, individual offices. General services include broadband internet access, personalised telephone answering, mail and courier, reception, 24-hour secure access, daily cleaning, heating and air conditioning, access to photocopy and scanning facilities, use of fully equipped kitchen, free beverages, organisation of board meetings and use of board room/meeting rooms with audio visual facilities. Private parking is also available.
- All office suites are beautifully presented and comprehensively equipped. Varying in size and available on ﬂexible terms the office spaces conﬁgurations will suit any business from start-up to SME and large multi-nationals looking at renting an office in Malta.
- Other on-demand packages offered to tenants of office spaces at BOSI Malta include more sophisticated infrastructure and IT support that can be tailor-made to a clients’ specific needs. This new exciting business centre joins a network of prestigious office spaces operated by Business Office Services (Luxembourg) and are located in several major centres internationally.
Offices for Rent in MriehelMriehel is a very well-known area for commerce in Malta and is officially known as “The Central Business District”. Offices in Mriehel are...
If you are interested in finding offices in Malta, Frank Salt Real Estate can help you make the best decision for your business. The commercial department at Frank Salt Real estate has years of experience backed by the largest database on the island. Choosing a location in Malta for your new office is no easy task, but it is a crucial factor towards the success of your business. Contact the commercial department on +356 2540 9000 or send an email on [email protected] to view the best offices to let in Malta and find the best office space that will contribute towards your future success!
See all offices for lease in Malta