Naxxar is in the Northern Region of Malta, with a population of about 14000 people. The local Church is dedicated to Our Lady of Victories and the annual village feast is celebrated on 8 September. Naxxar hosted the Maltese International Trade Fair at the Maltese International Trade Fair Grounds.The locality is spread over an area of 11 square kilometres and includes Naxxar centre, Sgħajtar area, Santa Marija tax-Xagħra, San Pawl tat-Tarġa, Birguma, Magħtab, Salina, Baħar iċ-Ċagħaq and part of Madliena.
Origins of settlement dates to the prehistoric era with megalithic remains at Tal-Qadi and at Qaliet Marku. Cart ruts at Salina up to it-Targa and near Ghadira tal-Wej are from the same period and in Naxxar there are a lot of stonemasons.
According to legend locals were amongst the first to help the shipwrecked, including Saint Paul.
The Parish of Naxxar was the first in the Maltese outskirts. Ta’ Cisju Farmhouse dates from 1730 and is the oldest rural building in the area.