Malta Residence Programme for EU Nationals
The Malta Residence Programme is ideal for individuals and families who are interested in taking up residence in Malta. Beneficiaries would also be able to take up employment in Malta subject to obtaining the necessary work permits.
- The programme is available to EU nationals, as well as nationals of Iceland, Norway, Liechtenstein or Switzerland.
- To qualify for this Residence Programme, an applicant must also hold a qualifying property which the individual occupies as his principal place of residence worldwide, by:
- Purchasing – In this case, the minimum value must be of at least €220,000 for properties situated in Gozo and the South of Malta, or a minimum of €275,000 for properties situated in the rest of Malta; or
- Renting – If the applicant opts to rent a property this must be of a minimum value of €8,750 per annum for properties situated in Gozo or the South of Malta or a minimum of €9,600 per annum for properties situated in the rest of Malta.
- Applicant needs to prove that he is in receipt of stable and regular resources that are sufficient to maintain himself and his dependants without recourse to the social assistance system
- Applicant needs to be in possession of health insurance which covers himself and his dependants in respect of all risks across the whole of the EU. The health insurance cover must be procured by a company licensed in Malta or by an international reputable health insurance company.
- Applicant must be in possession of valid travel documents, for both himself and his dependents.
- Applicant must also be able to communicate adequately in Maltese or English and must be a fit and proper person.
The tax benefit will consist mainly of the right to pay tax at a flat rate of 15% on all foreign source income which is remitted to Malta. Any other income (such as local source income) is subject to a flat rate of 35% tax.
A minimum annual tax liability of €15,000 covering the main applicant and dependents included on the same application.
Beneficiaries of The (Malta) Residence Programme will need to pay a minimum tax of €15,000 annually, covering the beneficiary and his dependants, on income arising arises outside Malta and remitted in Malta
Any other income arising in Malta will be subject to tax at a flat rate of 35%.
Beneficiary would also be able to benefit from double taxation relief.