Global Residence Programme
The Global Residence Programme is available to non-EU nationals, who are interested in taking up residence in Malta, whilst enjoying a favourable tax rate.
Permit holders are also able to work or set up a business in Malta subject to applying for and obtaining the necessary permits.
- The programme is available to Non-EU nationals.
- To qualify for this programme, an applicant must also hold a qualifying property which the individual occupies as his principal place of residence worldwide, either by purchasing or renting:
- In the case of purchasing a property, the minimum value must be of at least €220,000 for properties situated in Gozo or the South of Malta, or a minimum of €275,000 for properties situated in the rest of Malta;
- If the applicant opts to rent a property this must be of a minimum rent of €8,750 per annum for properties situated in Gozo or the South of Malta or a minimum rent of €9,600 per annum for properties situated in the rest of Malta.
- Applicant needs to prove that he/she is in receipt of stable and regular resources that are sufficient to maintain himself/herself and his/her dependants without recourse to the social assistance system in Malta.
- Applicant needs to be in possession of health insurance which covers himself and his dependants in respect of all risks across the whole of the EU.
- Applicant must be in possession of valid travel documents, for both himself and his dependents.
- Applicant must also be able to communicate adequately in Maltese or English and must be a fit and proper person.
- Beneficiaries of the Global Residence Programme have no minimum stay requirements, however they may not spend more than 183 days in a calendar year in any one particular foreign jurisdiction.
Any income arising in Malta is subject to a flat rate of 35% tax.
Beneficiary would also be able to benefit from double taxation relief.
A non-refundable administrative fee of €6,000 is applicable if property is purchased or rented in Malta and €5,500 if the property is bought or rented in the South of Malta.
One must apply through an Authorised Registered Mandatory.